Big Sky Classic Motors
Classic Auto Sales and Consignment in Southwest Montana
1962 Dodge M37 B1
This particular M37 B1 was built in 1962. It served with the U.S. Army for many years until it was acquired by the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) in Montana (estimated to be in the mid 70's). The CAP generally reconditioned all the vehicles they received. The truck was later acquired by a private party in Gardner, MT from the CAP who had it for several years then sold it to a collector and restorer of Military vehicles also of Gardner, MT who put over $3,500 into the truck including 5 new military tires, new canvas top etc. The engine compression was checked warm and dry showing consistent pressure at 90-95 lbs in each cylinder (throttle closed). The truck does not burn oil and it has the desirable Braden Winch and correct bumpers. The B1 series has the heavier wire harness and all lights work, even the night driving light. With the 24 volt sealed electrical system this truck could be easily set-up for deep-water fording with a snorkel exhaust.
BSCM research of OEM specifications for this vehicle:
- Wheelbase: 112 Inches
- Weight: 5987 pounds with winch
- Engine: T245 Dodge L-head 6 cylinder flathead
- Horsepower: 92 at 3200 RPM
- Displacement: 230 cubic inch (3.8 liter)
- Carburetor: Single throat downdraft
- Oil capacity: 6 quarts
- Gas Tank: 24 gallons with a range capacity of 250 miles (not recommended for daily commuting!
- Tire: 900 x 16 noon-directional
- Winch: Braden LU-4 PTO (holds about 250 feet of 7/16" cable). 7500 lb capacity.
These trucks are appreciating in value, the demand is increasing and the supply of nice trucks like this is limited.